Get Relief Quickly With These Home Remedies For An Upset Stomach
The material in this post is for informational/educational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Please see a qualified health professional for specific health concerns. Herbal remedies are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases.
Indigestion. Stomach pain. Stomach upset.
It happens to us all. Nothing is seriously wrong. It’s not the flu or another virus, but an upset stomach is uncomfortable and we want it taken care of.
Whatever the cause of your upset stomach, it’s nice to have some natural options to make it better instead of just opening the medicine cabinet.
Thankfully, there are some good and effective home remedies for upset stomach that will get you relief quickly.
Here are the top 3 simple home remedies I use when I have an upset stomach and how you can make use of them.
Pin for later!
Remedy 1: Peppermint Tea
Peppermint is one of the best herbs for any kind of digestive problem, especially generalized indigestion.
It has an antispasmodic effect that calms any cramping muscles or spasms in the digestive tract and can also be effective against nausea or queasiness.
Making a cup of peppermint tea is one of the easiest home remedies for an upset stomach. You can use fresh leaves if you happen to have some growing in your backyard or buy the dried leaves.
As a side note, peppermint is also a great remedy to use for children because of its pleasant taste.
- Simple Peppermint Tea Recipe: All you need to do is measure out 1-3 teaspoons of dried peppermint leaves (depending on how strong you want it) in a mug. Fill the mug with about 1 cup of boiling water and let it steep (covered) 15-20 minutes.
Strain and add a natural sweetener (like honey or maple syrup) if you would like. Then, drink for stomach relief. You can make as many cups as needed or make a large batch ahead of time and store it in the fridge (it will be good for 3-5 days).
- Where To Get Peppermint: If you want to make this remedy even simpler, get some quality organic peppermint tea bags from Amazon. The bags are already made up with the right amount of peppermint, and you just have to add boiling water.
Or buy your own quality peppermint in bulk (which saves money in the long run) to make your own tea. Lone Star Botanicals has great quality herbs.
Peppermint Leaf C/S
from: Starwest Botanicals Inc.
Remedy 2: Crystallized Ginger + Ginger Tea
Ginger is another herb that’s revered for its ability to help the digestive system. Like peppermint, ginger also helps to fight nausea and can calm an upset stomach.
Crystallized (or candied) ginger is one of the easiest home remedies for upset stomach you will ever find. This remedy is as simple as opening the bag (or box) and eating a piece for relief.
It’s made by boiling small pieces of ginger, then cooking them in a simple syrup, and finally coating them in sugar. This preserves the ginger so that it can be stored at room temperature and last for a long time.
This is the remedy I use most often for an upset stomach, especially if I don’t have time to make a tea.
- Using Crystallized Ginger: Using crystallized ginger is easy. It should come in small, bite-sized pieces. Start with one piece and see how your stomach feels. You can chew more pieces as necessary.
Be warned: Ginger is spicy! It really works, but you may feel a fire going down the back of your throat. You will get used to it the more you eat it.
- Where To Get Crystallized Ginger: I buy organic crystallized ginger here, and it is very good. However, if you want to take advantage of Amazon Prime free shipping, here’s some highly rated crystallized ginger you can get from Amazon.
Ginger can also be used to make a tea. This is a good option if crystallized ginger is too intense for you or if you need to avoid all the sugar.
Drinking a cup of ginger tea can be just as effective as a cup of peppermint, and you can sweeten it or not depending on what you prefer.
- Simple Ginger Tea Recipes: There are two ways you can make ginger tea, depending on how strong you want it to be. You can grate or cut 1-3 teaspoons of fresh ginger root into a mug and add 1 cup of boiling water. Let it steep (covered) for at least 15 minutes before straining out the ginger and drinking.
The method I use is to cut or grate about 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root into a pan and add 1 1/2 cups of water. I heat it on the stove until it boils, then let it simmer for 5-10 minutes before straining and drinking. This allows more of the ginger compounds to be drawn out of the root, but it will also be more spicy.
You can also try adding some lemon juice and honey to your ginger tea.
- Using Dried Ginger Root: If you don’t normally keep fresh ginger root on hand, you can get these pre-made organic ginger teabags and keep them in your cupboard until you need them. Fresh ginger root works better in my experience, but teabags are more convenient.
Remedy 3: Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is a calming and soothing herb that is wonderful for easing stress and aiding digestion.
Its gentle, calming properties give it a spot in the top three home remedies for upset stomach. And like peppermint, the pleasant taste of chamomile makes it also a good remedy for children.
The dried flowers can be used to make a simple and tasty tea.
- Simple Chamomile Tea Recipe: Put 1-3 tablespoons of the dried herb in a mug and add 1 cup of boiling water. Let steep (covered) for 15-20 minutes, strain, and drink as needed.
- Chamomile-Peppermint Tea Recipe: For added benefits and strength, chamomile and peppermint can be combined into a tea.
Combine equal parts of dried peppermint leaf and dried chamomile flowers. Use 1-3 tablespoons of this mixture per cup of boiling water. Let it steep (covered) for 15-20 minutes before straining and drinking as needed.
- Where To Get Chamomile: Chamomile can be bought in bulk here and used to make your own tea. Or you can buy these quality pre-made organic chamomile teabags from Amazon to have on hand.
Try These Home Remedies For Your Next Upset Stomach
These three home remedies for upset stomach are not only easy to use but also very effective at bringing quick relief.
Build Your Own Clean + Healthy Life
If you want to learn more about how to build the natural + healthy lifestyle you’ve always wanted without a ton of time or effort, sign up for my newsletter!
(I never send spam & you can unsubscribe at any time.)