An Everyday Essential Oil User Reviews Young Living
When I first got interested in essential oils and wanted to give them a try, the first thing I did was go to Google and read all. the. reviews. Young Living reviews, Doterra reviews, other reviews which I have now forgotten.
Of course, I knew not to believe everything I read on the Internet, but I still needed some information so I could make the decision of which brand to buy.
If you are reading this post, you’re probably in the same boat:
Which essential oil brand should I try? Which is the best? How do I know I’m making the right decision? Information overload!
So now I’m writing the review I wish I could have read when I first started out. Hopefully, it will help you decide whether Young Living is the brand for you or not.
Just for the record, I came to Young Living with no expectations, no bias, and no intention at that point of blogging about essential oils.
I was just an everyday person hoping that oils would work for me and wanting to choose the best brand.
Here’s why Young Living essential oils stood out to me and why I never plan to use another brand. Plus, the 4 most important things for you to consider before buying.
Don’t have time to read now? Save this post for later!
Not All Oils Are Created Equal
The first thing that drew me to Young Living was quality.
Not all essential oils are created equal. Unfortunately, there are no regulations yet in the essential oil industry for what can go on a label. So something could say pure, all-natural, all the good stuff, etc. and the company doesn’t have to back it up.
You can buy oils pretty much anywhere nowadays. And you can buy them at a grocery store and on Amazon for about 1/2 or even 1/3 of the price of Young Living essential oils.
And yet millions of people buy Young Living oils month after month.
Nobody is going to buy a product for a higher price when they can get it for a lower price somewhere else unless there’s a reason. And that reason is: Quality.
Now, I wouldn’t say that Young Living is the only good essential oil company out there. But I do truly believe they are the best. And there is a real difference between good and excellent.
Let’s look at the facts:
- Young Living is the oldest essential oil company in the world, and founder Gary Young was the one who first brought essential oils into the modern world. They have a 25-year history of producing quality essential oils.
25 years and still growing! That, to me, shows they are doing something right.
- Young Living also has something very unique: a Seed To Seal promise. This is their commitment to quality all the way from how they grow and harvest the plants to how they distill and package the oils.
They own many of their own farms (you can even go visit one) and any other farms or suppliers they buy from have to pass a rigorous quality requirement.
This is the major difference between Young Living and other companies who just want to hop on the essential oil train to make money. I have a degree in horticulture and love studying plants, so I can appreciate all the behind-the-scenes work Young Living does to produce the best quality oils possible.
- AND (this is super important) they pay to get third-party, independent testing done to ensure the purity and quality of their essential oils.
Quality, for them, goes way beyond just putting a good-sounding label on a bottle. (You can read about their Seed to Seal commitment for yourself here.)
So here is Consideration #1:
What kind of oils do you want- good or excellent? You can definitely get essential oils for a lower price elsewhere, but if quality is your priority, I’d go with Young Living.
Watch this 6 minute video of me breaking down Seed to Seal!
Okay. So right about now you’re probably thinking: I thought you just said that Young Living essential oils were more expensive. Now you’re telling me they are budget-friendly?
Yep! Or at least they can be. (Don’t worry, I’ll explain.)
Back when I was reading Young Living reviews, one of the main negative points that people would make was price. They thought Young Living was too expensive.
I decided to try Young Living anyways because I know that I’m willing to pay for quality, especially when it comes to my health. I have tried the cheaper “healthy” options with terrible results.
So now if it’s something health and wellness related, I will pay for high-quality products every single time.
BUT the good news is:
Young Living can be affordable. There are some simple tips you need to know, but people with all different kinds of budgets make this work (and when I first started I had practically no budget to work with).
- The first thing to do is to start out with a Premium Starter Kit. This kit comes with twelve different oils and oil blends, a really nice diffuser, and awesome samples.
The Premium Starter Kit costs $165 but the value of it is $400+. That means it’s more than half off!
I get that $165 sounds like a lot. I really do. I had to think about spending that much before I bought my kit.
But the truth is, you are getting high quality oils AND a diffuser for more than half-off retail price. This kit can also last you for months. And the people who get the kit are most likely to stick with oils and benefit from them (which is the whole point).
So first step: Get your Premium Starter Kit at 50%+ off.
- The next step is actually connected to the first one: Take advantage of paying wholesale price.
When you get your Premium Starter Kit, you automatically become a Young Living member. (Don’t worry, there aren’t any hidden fees or monthly purchase requirements.)
This means you get 24% off all of your future orders! This is way better than ordering from Young Living’s website and paying retail price.
Go to Young Living’s website, click on a product, and look at the difference between retail and wholesale. This will give you an idea of how much you’ll be saving.
- Step three: Get on Essential Rewards. This is Young Living’s rewards program that can save you even more money.
Instead of just ordering oils at random times, you will have an order that gets shipped to you on the same day every month. You get to customize your monthly order, and you can change the day you get it at any time.
What’s the benefit?
You will start earning points back on every order, which you can later spend to get free oils and products. It starts at 10% back, goes up to 20% after 3 months, and goes all the way up to 25% if you stay on rewards for 2 years.
If you join the rewards program when you get your Starter Kit, you’ll immediately get 10% back in points. I have already gotten so many free oils by using points that it’s been the best budget choice I’ve made.
There is only one requirement:
You have to spend 50 PV (points value) every month (if you aren’t on Essential Rewards, there’s no monthly requirement). Most times, $1=1 PV. So if you buy a $20 oil, that equals 20 PV.
If you can fit $50 a month into your budget, you will save a lot! And if that’s difficult for you, try buying products you already buy somewhere else from Young Living instead.
Get your cleaning solution, toothpaste, laundry detergent, etc. from Young Living so that you can get points back to spend later.
Alright, Consideration #2:
Are you willing to utilize the opportunities Young Living gives you to save money? Like I said before, you can get essential oils at your grocery store or on Amazon for less. But they won’t be quality oils and you won’t get rewards points or a discount.
With just a little effort, Young Living can work in most budgets!
(Learn more about the best way to get started with essential oils and all about the Starter Kit in my 5-day challenge.)
You Get Community + Support
I did read about this point in other Young Living reviews, but I didn’t see how important it was until I got my Starter Kit and started using the oils.
Think about what normally happens when you buy a product:
You buy it from somewhere and take it home or wait until it’s shipped to you. Then, if it’s something like essential oils, you might go to Google to try and figure out the best way to use it, see what other people are saying, etc.
And there’s nothing wrong with this! But when I started using essential oils, I realized there was so much I didn’t know about them. And, yeah, I could’ve spent hours on Google trying to learn BUT I didn’t have to.
I got to join a Young Living Facebook group and had access to lots of resources from Young Living itself. There were real live people I could ask questions of and learn all the ways they were using oils.
It’s been invaluable.
And best of all, you don’t have to wonder whether what you’re reading on the Internet is really accurate or just someone writing about what they think they know. The community is both supportive and knowledgeable.
The support/community you get will depend on who introduced you to Young Livng, but here’s what it looks like for my team (which could be you!):
- When you order your Premium Starter Kit, you are more than welcome to use my unique referral number when you check out. Young Living works in a system of sponsors, so when you get a kit somebody will be your sponsor- basically your support system.
So if you use my number and I become your sponsor, I’ll send you a bonus welcome package. It’s full of simple, quick-win resources to ensure that you know what you’re doing and can get the most out of your Starter Kit and essential oils.
And you also get to pick out a free gift. My way of supporting your decision to invest in yourself!
(You can read about everything that comes in the welcome package here.)
- You also will get an invite to our private Young Living Facebook group called The Oily Sisterhood. This is such a fun, supportive, and oil-loving group! I wouldn’t have discovered so many ways to use essential oils without them.
It’s a great place to ask any question about oils or Young Living that you have. (I can only invite people who use my referral number, so make sure you do that!)
Plus, you can contact me anytime through the Facebook group or email. If I’m your sponsor, that means I’m there to help you!
- As a P.S. or side-note, Young Living is also one of the most supportive companies I’ve ever bought from. It’s not what I was expecting from a large company.
I have found the most benefit from communities made up of other Young Living members, but Young Living itself treats its members very well and works to make your experience with essential oils as good as possible.
On to Consideration #3:
How much does community and support matter to you? Would you like to have other like-minded people going on your wellness journey with you? Do you think this would help you succeed at using essential oils?
We buy and use lots of products without any kind of community to help us use them. It might not be a necessity, but I believe it’s one of the key reasons I’ve had so much success in my life and health with essential oils.
What really matters, of course, is what you think!
Young Living Makes Natural Wellness Easy
If you are really interested in essential oils, I’m going to guess that you’re also interested in natural health and wellness. The two usually (but not always) go together.
This was one of the main things that drew me to essential oils: I wanted to be healthier naturally.
I was tired of chemicals and toxic ingredients showing up in wellness products that were supposed to be “good for me”.
When I first started using Young Living essential oils, I was not in a good place health-wise. And it wasn’t because I was doing anything “wrong”. I finally figured out that my body just wasn’t functioning well because of toxin overload and stress.
I was hoping essential oils would be the answer and get me to a better place.
They were and they did!
One thing that not all Young Living reviews mention is that Young Living goes way beyond essential oils. Most people come to Young Living for the oils (with good reason), but they offer so many more products that make natural health and wellness incredibly simple.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time or energy to start practicing herbal medicine or make all my own products from scratch to be healthy. But with Young Living, I don’t have to.
Here’s some of what else Young Living offers:
- A whole line of chemical-free, oil-infused household products. Young Living Thieves products are designed to make cleaning and personal care simple and toxin-free.
Products include: Thieves household cleaner (one of my favorites), Thieves laundry soap, Thieves hand soap, Thieves dish soap, Thieves toothpaste, and much more.
This is where budget comes in again. You can buy the concentrated Thieves household cleaner for $22.50, which sounds like a lot. BUT it makes about 14-15 bottles of cleaner, which works out to around $1.50 per bottle. That’s a great price for an all-natural cleaning solution.
- Natural care for your little ones! Young Living has a lot to offer if you have young children or a baby.
Their KidScents line includes essential oil blends specifically formulated for children and oil-infused products like toothpaste, lotion, shampoo, and vitamins.
There is also a Young Living Seedlings line where you can get non-toxic baby lotion, baby oil, baby wash & shampoo, baby wipes (which have many other uses as well), and diaper rash cream.
- There’s also many choices for oil-infused supplements, vitamins, enzymes, etc. Young Living has put in years of research to find out which essential oils help with the absorption of nutrients from supplements. And they’ve been successful!*
I’ve definitely noticed a difference from switching over to Young Living supplements, even though I already used natural supplements to begin with.
Just adding essential oils into their formulas helps the body process and absorb the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients better.*
- This is brand new! You can now buy Nature’s Ultra essential oil infused CBD oil for yourself and your pets AND receive Young Living points for your purchase. (Only if you have gotten the Starter Kit and have an account.)
This seriously just came out as I was starting to write this post, and I’m really excited about this new addition! I’ve heard such good things about CBD oil and Nature’s Ultra, so I’ll definitely be trying it.
The list of products could go on for a while, but those were the highlights. You’ll discover lots more options over time if you choose to go with Young Living.
Finally, Consideration #4:
What are your wellness goals? Would it be helpful for you to buy household products, supplements, etc. from Young Living and know for sure that they are chemical-free and all-natural?
To be clear, the essential oils alone are worth going with Young Living. I see the rest of their products as a bonus on top of something already good.
Wait, Isn’t Young Living An MLM?
Yes (and I’m so glad you asked)! Because, oh my word, this was something other Young Living reviews pointed out as a bad thing- and it’s not.
Young Living does happen to be one of the best multi-level marketing companies out there. I know that there are quite a few misconceptions about multi-level marketing, so let me just hit on a few points quickly.
**Multi-level marketing is becoming more commonly known in the business world as network marketing, so that’s what I’m going to call it going forward.
(You can also read about what the experts say for yourself, including quotes from guys like Zig Ziglar, Robert Kiyosaki, and Brain Tracy.)
But here we go:
- Is network marketing legitimate? Absolutely! Network marketing companies are sometimes confused with pyramid schemes, which are complete scams (not to mention illegal).
However, not only is network marketing a perfectly legitimate form of business, it’s also one of the better ones. If you are interested in learning more about what network marketing really is, I recommend learning from Eric Worre or Richard Brooke.
- Aren’t MLMs the ‘bad guys’? Nope. To be perfectly clear, there are ‘bad’ network marketing/MLM companies out there. That’s part of the reason they’ve gotten a bad name. But that’s going to happen with any kind of business, and the good news is the unethical ones don’t usually last.
Young Living just celebrated its 25th year in business. It has millions of returning customers who buy Young Living oils and products month after month after month. They must be doing something right!
- Aren’t Young Living oils more expensive because they are an MLM? Nope. Young Living essential oils are more expensive because of the high quality standards they have and their investment in research and third party testing. Millions of people (including me) think it’s worth it to pay more for that level of quality product. I don’t mess around when it comes to my health.
- Doesn’t network marketing mean bugging friends and family to buy? Not at all! Again, to be perfectly clear, some people will choose to do their business this way, either because it seems like the easiest way to do it or because they don’t know there’s a better way. (This video shows the difference between good and bad network marketing.)
My friends and family were some of the first people I told about Young Living essential oils, but I don’t bug them every month to buy anything. They get to buy what they want, when they want it directly from Young Living’s website. And if I only shared oils with friends and family, I wouldn’t have a very good business.
- Won’t I get roped into selling essential oils if I become a Young Living member? Nope, no worries! There is zero requirement to sell oils or sign up new members. It’s an option open to every Young Living member (which means anyone can start their own business), but only around 10% of Young Living members actually decide to try the business side of it. Your choice all the way.
Is Young Living For You?
I know that it can be tricky (and sometimes overwhelming) to sort through all the different brands, all that people say about Young Living, and all the reviews. Hopefully, this review has been helpful for you to get an overview of Young Living.
As I like to say, after I used them myself, the first person I told about Young Living essential oils was my mom. She’s also the last person I would ever try to convince to buy or do something that wasn’t worth it.
(By the way, she now loves her Young Living oils, too.)
In the end, you need to make the decision that’s best for you. I thought Young Living was the best brand to go with (and I’ve never regretted it). If you are on-board and ready to get started with your own oils, here’s what to do:
- Check out everything that comes in the Premium Starter Kit (and in the welcome package). Follow the instructions on the page to order your own kit, and don’t forget to fill out this form to get your free gift.
- Or if you already know you want a Starter Kit, you can just click this link to go to the checkout page and make sure my member number (15796713) is entered in. Complete your order and your kit and welcome package will be sent to you!
If you made it all the way to the end of this long post, congratulations! You really are serious about this, and I hope you make the best decision for your health and wellness!
I am happy to answer any questions you have about Young Living or the Starter Kit. Just put them in the comments section or send an email to email@example.com.
P.S. If you want to learn more about the best way to get started with essential oils and what the Starter Kit is all about, take my 5-Day Challenge!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Essential oils are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.